Distance Education

Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Opportunity Has Come



I have heard about blogging all along and never pay any attention to what goes on in the world of bloggers. I perceived blogging as another time wasting social network. This course increased my awareness and opened my eyes to a wealth of knowledge about blogging.

I selected about blogs (weblogs). The author is Jay Cross of Jaycross.com. He defined a blog as a website with dated entries, usually by a single author, often accompanied by links to other blogs that the site’s editor visits on a regular basis. http://www.internettime.com/Learning/Weblogs.htm. According to him, blogging dated back to 1999, they are free, unfiltered and represented personal notions, informal and very conversational in nature. The site highlights the use of blogs for a variety of purposes. For example, blogging to learn, business blog, blog for education, and news blog. It appears that almost everything that exists today has a blog site.

I liked what he said about the bottom line. “Blog highlight useful information that I may never find on my own, or think to find on my own”. http://www.internettime.com/Learning/Weblogs.htm. This is a very meaningful statement to me as a beginner in the act of blogging. He referred readers to multiple useful sites about his learning experience that I need to revisit. 

The site discussed the following as advantages of blogging:
a.      The accessibility than face to face
b.     They scale very easily across large networks, thus reaching a wider audience
c.     They can easily archived and retrieved any number of time
d.      Providing context is much easier with hyperlinks and cross references.

 I became overwhelmed by the numerous articles, blogs, and information coupled with time that I need to sift through the information, knowing that I can sort through what I like to read. It is time consuming, but I will get use to it someway. 

I visited another site titled, eLearning Delivery Methods.
This site described eLearning as a framework that invites the use of whatever method best fits the situation at hand.  Here, the author analyzed eLearning delivery method of training in a tabulated format. In addition, the pro and cons of learning methods of learning were discussed. The tabulated information compares the benefit of each method and the challenges associated with them. Retrieved from http://www.internettime.com/itimegroup/methods.htm

What stood out for me was the real time discussion and chat room which requires the presence of all the parties at the same time. If you miss it, it is gone.   It gave me a flash back to what happened when I was shopping for my masters level program online. The requirement of such method is a constraint to me.

The third site is learning with Blogs and Wikis. http://web.ebscohost.com.ezp.waldenlibrary.org.(to access please log in to Walden website)  The author Ferriter Bill. The site highlight use of RSS feed to sort blog content this is very usefulness to me. The author discussed the current challenges in the school system as it impacts learners, and teachers.  The site offered some solutions to the current, challenging problems in the educational setting. The site broke the information down to easy to follow processes, and I have to continue to re-visit the information site to acclimate myself to more blogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment