Distance Education

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Performance Need Analysis

I like this topic. Finally, my organization seems to be getting it. Performance need analysis is very crucial to the success of designing a novel idea, or training.  The purpose is to analyze and verify the need for training. I often get calls for a new training need just as you stated and at times a refresher course.
I attended a conference on designing learning, and since then my approach to responding to this request has changed.  I am now asking for training request in writing, and then I use the request to initiate the first interview. During the interview, I have a general questionnaire that is primarily designed to inquire the needs for training.  I usually hand a copy of the questionnaire to the interviewee. At the end of the interview, it is often apparent to both of us whether training is the best solution to the request or not.
In cases where training is the need, then we go in-depth as to what the training content should be, the cost of the training, who should be attending, how much time should be allotted to the training, and how to measure the training effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment